Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Ask These Questions

The following is a copy of the Thomas Question email devotional. You can subscribe to the email edition from our website and tune into our podcast.

I’d be interested to know your honest answer to a simple question because I’d like to be able to include it in the message this Sunday: what’s the smartest thing you can think to do with 20 bucks? (Click reply - I really would love to know). I’m looking for anything from clever to obvious to amusing. As a sample, I’ve already received this brilliant reply from a few contacts I made in advance, “rechargeable batteries – you could always use a battery and these will last forever”. I like it.

Along side that and just for kicks, ask yourself another question – slowly – and with some actual thought – even deliberate thought (I’m loving hyphens today): what is the 76 year old you saying? Think about it. One day you will be “there” – on the other side of many of your life’s choices. By “other side” I mean “having MADE those choices” so you’re on the consequence side of them. Will it be “spilt milk” or “time well spent”? Will it be “I wish I did…” or “I’m glad I did…”

In the course of 5 years, you go from having all the time in the world (~27 years of age) to thinking you see the end of the game (at ~32 years of age when you think “only 15 years and I’m almost FIFTY! How did this happen to me?”). As an aside to our over-fifty readers – obviously life doesn’t end at 50, and everyone knows this intellectually – but it doesn’t mean I’m ready to be there before I absolutely have to!

Life is an issue of conversion – taking what you’ve got and turning into what you get, and turning that into something else. Time into money, money into stuff, stuff into junk and the cycle starts again. I’d like to challenge you about these cycles, these questions and the 76 year old you – and I feel like being un-churched about it (whatever that means). Join us Sunday for Starbucks at 9:45 (visit our website for directions) or tune into the podcast through the week.

So, again… Think about it. What is that 76 year old codger really saying?

I hope to see you there,

CSW
REPLIES
Again - I'd love to know your thoughts on our two questions. Click reply.

LAST SUNDAY
Change the way you view your SELF (to dramatic effect) because there is no "them". Visit our website and tune into our podcast.

THIS SUNDAY
What are you turning your stuff into, the value of other people and a step worth taking.

FYI
For the past few weeks, we've been consistently ranked in the top 75 religion/spirituality podcasts on Itunes North America.

A NOTE OF THANKS
Part of the message prep involved a look back over the last year and it left me wanting to say thanks. Every single thing you do - even the samllest things - even just showig up - all go into the mix to make our beginning possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home